STEP UP OLPC honors giving both large and small. Here are some ideas of how you or
your organization can make a difference:
NEW: Buy a STEP UP OLPC T-Shirt for only $20 USD + S&H! All proceeds benefit our program directly. Click here to order one now!
- $5 will buy a mini mouse for improved computer use
- $30 will buy a solar panel that can power the XO laptop
- $50 will purchase a battery that can power our wifi when there's no energy at school
- $150 will pay the salary of a teacher for our one-month summer program
- $200 will purchase a laptop computer to be used by FIVE children over FIVE years
- $20,000 will purchase 100 laptops for a total of 500 students
- $100,000 will purchase enough computers for all sixth grade students in São João for 5 years
Sponsor the purchase of 100 or more OLPC (XO) laptop computers. Each computer costs about $235 and will last approximately five years. Due to OLPC's production constraints, computers must be purchased in quantities of 100+ and shipped directly to the school via DHL. 100 computers will directly benefit 500 individual children over the computer's lifespan. As the computers are taken home, they will also benefit families and neighbors, or approximately 5,000 São Tomé residents.
Make a general donation to STEP UP OLPC. Donations of all sizes are accepted, and donations sent by mail are tax-deductible. They help to purchase supplies like mini mice and USB drives for the computers, paper to make lesson plans and certificates for the students, and salaries for the teachers. Donations also fund our annual summer program.
Host a fundraising event. Use our materials to host your own fundraising event at your workplace, church, community center or other location. All you need is a location and a little music. We'll provide the materials. Talk to friends and family about giving or ask a local restaurant or bar to donate a percentage of its proceeds one night to STEP UP OLPC.
Where to send financial contributions: Funding and donations for STEP UP OLPC can be sent to our financial advisors at Kelley & Drye: Eric McClafferty / Kelley and Drye / 3050 K St. NW, #400 / Washington, DC 20007. Please make checks out to STEP UP with “OLPC” in the memo line.